7 STEPS TO BECOMIING A BETTER ANNOUNCER IN 10 DAYS


It doesn't take long to increase your announcer skills significantly. Here are some tips from my 35 years on the air and 25 years as a voice over pro.

1) Listen to other great announcers and learn from them.

Early in my radio career, I was struggling with ways to become a better radio announcer. I had never had any real announcer coaching. So I made a road trip to Dallas (before the internet mind you) and made a lot of cassette recordings of some of the best announcers in town. 

I took those tapes back home and listened over and over. I tried to weave their best traits into my style. But I didn't try to imitate them (too much!). My on-air abilities increased significantly in only a few weeks and I began getting better job offers in radio and in the voice over field.

2) Your best critic is yourself. Record yourself often and listen to it a lot. 

3) Record a break and listen to it immediately afterwards.

It sounds strange but try it: Record an on air  break, listen to it immediately afterwards. You will notice that you almost always come across differently than you thought you did just then. I've done this and it had a wonderful effect. It made me try much harder in the next break. Try it. Do this quite a bit and you will get better quickly!

4) Prep your show well and plan each break.

The consultants are right on the money on this point. Being well prepared will not only be better for your listeners. You will feel more confident- which makes you sound better. (You'll savor your job more too!)(Look for more articles for tips on prepping your show in future issues of CHRISTIAN RADIO EDGE)

4) Get some other radio friends to listen and critique you.

Having other announcers listening and giving you feedback will sharpen you quite a bit. (Just don't follow their advice completely.)

5) Get some listeners to critique you.

If you don't have listener friends, get some. Commonly ask their input. They should not have the final say. But you will be amazed at their comments. (Shake it up. Don't always keep listening to the same folks.) Look for commonalities in critiques. If 2 or 3 say the same thing, they are probably right on the money. Listeners are the most overlooked "consultants" in radio.

5) Talk about yourself and your life? but not too much.

Regularly let listeners inside your life to some extent. If something really funny happens in your life, talk about it. I do this on the stations I voice track for. I told listeners about the day I pulled up to an Arby's and waited for them to ask for my order. It took a long time. Then I looked at the speaker stand. I was parked next to a trash receptacle. The speaker was 6 feet further up. I laughed at myself.
      Listeners love this kind of stuff. When it's real- and you aren't trying to "milk" every trivial incident in your life. If you did something quirky, let them laugh at you.
BUT don't make the mistake of thinking listeners are just dying to hear about every cutesy thing happening in your life. Too many announcers overdo it.

6) Most underused advice in radio: "Keep your breaks shorter."

It's also the most ignored good advice! This is not anything new. 20 years ago legendary consultant Brad Burkhart educated our radio staff on this.
Look for every possible way to cut down your breaks. (15 seconds to 1 minute is best- unless it's REALLY good stuff.) And look for the first opportunity to gracefully leave the bit. Some of your breaks in every show should even be backselling a song, give your station slogan and into another song. Simple and elegant. 

7)  Read the my article on how to use your mic.


-Rick McConnell 

   (Articles provided by Rick McConnell. Starting in Christian Radio in 1978, he has been doing voice overs since 1986 through his company, Monumental Studios in Denver Colorado. Find out more about the Imaging Package called "Airshow", Voice and Production Depot and more, by CLICKING HERE)